Choosing The Best Cement for Home Construction

1

Cement is a widely used material in home construction, and that’s why it’s better to invest in buying quality cement. Upon searching for the best cement in India for house construction, you will primarily find two names: Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) and Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC).

You will also come across products like Portland Slag Cement (PSC); however, the most used cement is either OPC or PPC as they are readily available in the market.

Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)

It is the most commonly used cement for house construction and is known for its high-quality raw material. If we break down its components, it uses a chemical combination of silicon, calcium, iron, and aluminum. Its curing time is a minimum of 7 days, with the initial setting time as 30 minutes and the final setting time as 280 minutes.

You can find OPC in three different grades, 33 grade, 43 grade, and 53 grade, each having its benefits. 33 grade cement is used mainly in small-scale construction work. In simple language, 33 grade cement is used when the concrete strength is not a deciding factor. The best example is a small house construction.

43 grade cement is used for medium-scale construction work. One would choose this type of cement when you need medium strength to build more than three floors, and concrete has to bear the load of the structures.

53 grade is used in construction work where you need high concrete strength. You will find its use in mass construction like high-rise buildings, flyovers, bridges, etc.

Sumo cement is 43 grade cement bearing high compressive strength and is moisture-free. It is produced in the standard Sumo cement manufacturing factory following the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) norms. It is durable and consistent in terms of quality.

Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC)

Nowadays, Portland Pozzolana cement is preferred more for house construction. The reason is the raw materials used to produce this type of cement are top grade. It contains pozzolanic material, with its percentage lying between 10% and 30%. The other material used is cement clinkers (65-70%) and gypsum (5%). As compared to OPC, it offers more strength and is equivalent to 53 grade OPC. It is used for plastering, waterproofing, tiling, etc.

Talking about its curing time, it’s a minimum of 10 days, with the initial setting time as 30 minutes and the final setting time as 600 minutes.

If you buy cement from a leading cement manufacturing company in India, it assures you good quality. Home construction requires time, money, and attention. When you work with leading market players, your construction needs are well understood.

Which is better?

After learning about both types of cement, one can conclude that OPC and PPC are used in residential construction and have their benefits. It also depends on your requirements. If you’re looking for less setting time, you can go for OPC, while PPC is more durable if we compare it to the former due to the material used.

While purchasing the cement, you should check if it is manufactured in a standard cement manufacturing plant. Also, you should check the manufacturing date. If you find the cement bag older than 90 days, it’s better to consult the experts. Another thing that matters when buying cement is the ISI stamp. In OPC cement packaging, you will find a black-colored ISI mark, while the PPC bag will have a red-colored ISI mark.

Shiva Industries manufactures top-grade, moisture-free Sumo cement (OPC and PPC) in India. Its cement products are widely used in several residential and commercial projects. You can connect with its expert team of engineers to discuss your construction needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *